About three weeks after starting chemotherapy, my hair started to fall out. I was excited about losing the hair on my head because it opened up the possibility of lots of new looks to try. On the other hand, I was nervous about losing my eyebrows. I knew losing my eyebrows would be a challenge for me. So before I started chemotherapy, I signed up to do the Look Good Feel Better Program to make sure I knew how to draw my eyebrows on properly when they came out.
At about six weeks after starting chemotherapy, I noticed my eyebrows were severely thinning out. I began to try and draw them in like I learned in the class. I got frustrated. I couldn’t get each eye to look the same, nor did they look the same from day to day. Some days they were thin and other days they were thicker. I needed professional help.
Thank goodness I was introduced to eyebrow and eyelash expert Joi, from The Look By Joi. I went to her store hoping to have her draw on my eyebrows so that I could see how to do it correctly and hopefully repeat it on my own at home. When I told her my problem, she told me about the perfect solution. The three dimensional or high definition eyebrow; eyebrow tinting followed by eyebrow extensions. This type of eyebrow was created for people with little or no eyebrow hair due to cancer treatment, alopecia, over plucking or scarring.
Video: Eyebrow Tinting & Extensions
Eyebrow Hair Loss Options
- The first step is to tint the remaining eyebrow hairs and skin in the desired shape of the eyebrow. Tinting should only be done by a trained professional.
- Tinting usually last about two weeks.
- The tint should not burn. If it does, remove it immediately.
- People with sensitive skin or open cuts or abrasions in the eyebrow area should not get tint.
- The application of synthetic eyebrow hairs affixed directly to the skin in the shape of the eyebrow where the natural hairs have fallen out.
- The extensions can last up to 20 days with proper care
- More extensions can be added as your natural hairs continue to fall out.
- Go in every 15 to 20 days to fill in areas where eyebrow hairs have fallen out
I love my new high definition eyebrows. I wake up in the morning and spend much less time putting on makeup. I use a little concealer and highlighter to define the arch and I’m out the door. My eyebrows look so natural, I forgot they were extensions until I washed my face and washed off a few of the hairs. Oops! You have to be careful, especially in the first 24 to 48 hours after they are put on. Keep them dry for 24 hours and no swimming for 48 hours. Avoid using oil-based products around the eyebrow.
With a little care and maintenance, your eyebrows will continue to WOW people wherever you go.
Eyebrows that WOW, can boost your confidence!