I know some of you are thinking, why shouldn’t I want to be happy? Everyone deserves to be happy. Some of you are even thinking aren’t joy and happiness the same thing?
Those of you who follow my blog, know that I haven’t blogged in awhile. A series of life events had left me feeling down. When I feel down, I eat. Sweets in particular. Because eating makes me happy. I get such pleasure as the tasty morsels dance over my tastebuds and down my throat. But that’s where the happiness ends. So, I try again the next day; to be happy. More tasty morsels…. I watched myself gain 35 pounds in my quest to be happy.
We all think, “If I could just get well, I’d be happy. If I could just grow my hair back, lose some weight, get this guy or that girl, I would be happy.” Many times we get the things that we wish for and still find ourselves unhappy. Why, because happiness is a temporary state. It only satisfies for a short time. What we really need is to find joy.
Joy and Happiness are not the same thing.
Happiness is a feeling that you have on the outside. It is affected by what is happening in your life at the time. Any person, thing , or event can make you happy or take away you’re your happiness, but nothing can touch your joy.
Joy is a feeling you have on the inside. It is unaffected by anything going on in your life. It is a stronger, deeper feeling than happiness. Joy develops as a result of a personal spiritual connection with God or another person. It is an internal emotion that is deep and long lasting; like the feeling you get when you marry your one true love, or when you look at the baby you carried inside you for 9 months for the first time.
Joy is the feeling I got when I remembered that
- I’m good enough for God. Romans 8:28-30
- God loves me, in spite of my faults. Psalms 69:5
- He promised to heal me. Jeremiah 30:17
- He promised to forgive my sins 1 John 1:9
- He promised to provide for my needs Matthew 6:31-34
- He promised to give me eternal life. 1 John 2:25
- He provides protection for me and my family. Psalm 91:4-6
- He has promised an end to death, sorrow, and pain. Revelation 21:4
- God has promised peace. Isaiah 26:3
- God promises health to us if we listen. Exodus 15:26.
Joy is that feeling you get when you realize that God doesn’t break his promises. Psalm 89:34
No matter what is going on in my life. I know that God’s got me. Now that I remember that, I’ve found my inner joy.
Nothing and no one can steal my joy.