I have always had oily skin that was prone to acne breakouts during my monthly menstrual cycle. When I started chemotherapy, I noticed my skin became dry, but I continued to have breakouts, but now they are on my cheeks and temples. I know my hormones are changing. The chemotherapy has stopped my monthly menstrual cycles and my skin is changing too.
My diet is not the best. I eat foods that I crave and food that I can tolerate based on the taste changes that come along with the chemotherapy. I must admit most of the time they are not healthy food choices. I eat lots of sweets, breads and salty snacks. I don’t drink a lot of water anymore because it now had a metallic taste to it. My new diet has reacked havoc on my skin causing breakouts and boils
I asked my friend, esthetician, and make up artist Medea Lumpkin to give me tips on how to get my skin clear, healthy looking and blemish free while going through treatment and beyond. She is a nine year breast cancer survivor and has absolutely beautiful skin. She came by my house, gave me a facial and shared these important tips with me.
It is important to have proper skin treatment all the time, but especially while going through treatment. Chemotherapy changes your skin and it will never be the same.
- A proper skin regimen consists of a good cleanser, toner, moisturizer, eye cream and sunscreen.
- Use a clean white washcloth or a cleaning brush with a disposable pad every time you wash your face.
- Wash your face twice daily. In the morning and at night before going to bed.
- Make sure you remove all makeup before going to bed. Never go to sleep with make-up on.
- Wear a sunscreen daily. It will keep you from developing dark spots and prevent sun damage.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Drink plenty of water.
If you have lost your hair, it is also important to wash your scalp daily. Dirt and oils from your scalp can block pores and cause breakouts at your hairline.
I’ve started my new skin regimen and I’m on my way to clearer, healthier looking skin. I plan to end this journey looking better and younger than I did when I started.
: Give your skin daily attention with proper skin treatment and you will put your best face forward for the rest of you life.