When I first lost my hair from the chemotherapy, I was not a big fan of wigs. I found them very hot and uncomfortable. It felt like I had a hat on, and they gave me a headache. Since the weather has gotten cooler, my bald head get cold very easily. I’ve gotten accustomed to wearing a wig every day. Now that I’ve gotten used to them, I’m actually very fond of them. I decided it was time to find out more about them. I met with Dr. Erica Gamble a.k.a. the Wig Doctor, and she told me all about wings.
What are the benefits of wearing wigs?
- They keep the head warm.
- Quick fix for a no hair or bad hair day.
- You can change your look often.
- They can be custom made to look like your real hair
What is the difference between “Real hair” wigs and synthetic wigs?
Real hair wigs
- Made of real human hair.
- Must be washed and cared for just like your own hair.
- Can be cut, colored and heat styled just like your real hair.
- They react to the weather changes.
- More expensive than synthetic wigs
- Can last years if cared for properly
- Made out of synthetic fibers.
- They generally cannot be curled or colored.
- Less Expensive
- Ready to wear right out of the box
How do I care for my synthetic wig?
- · Synthetic wigs should not be exposed to heat.
- Do not use heated styling tools such as curling irons, flat irons or hot rollers on your wig.
- Be cautious when cooking. Keep your head away from hot ovens, stoves or barbecue grills.
- The only exceptions are synthetic wigs that are specifically labeled as “heat friendly”.
- Use only hair products that are specifically designed for synthetic wigs.
- Do not brush your wig when it is wet.·
- Your Fingertips and a spray bottle of cold water are essential styling tools.·
- Use only brushes and combs designed for wigs·
- Synthetic wigs have “Style Memory”·
- They retain their style even after they have been washed.·
- To restore the original style, simply shake the wig·
- If the style is looking a bit limp, you can spritz it lightly with a spray bottle of water and style with fingertips.
Can I purchase my wig online?
- If you are new to wigs, I would not purchase one online.
- Shop in person to find the best look, color, fit and cap construction for you.
What is the best way to store a wig?
- On a wig head/mannequin
- On a wig stand
- In a wig box
I absolutely love my wigs. I wear a different one every day. I’ve been able to experiment with different looks and colors while my hair is growing back. I think they will become a part of my permanent wardrobe, even after my hair grows back.
Now that you know the do’s and don’t of wigs, have some fun, experiment, and find a look that looks good on you!
: Beautiful comes in many colors, lengths, textures and styles.